Campus Safety Officer
Campus Safety Officer - Provisional
(Office for Public Safety)
SUNY Broome Community College has an immediate opening for a Campus Safety Officer for the Office for Public Safety department providing security as well as environmental safety functions on campus. This appointment is provisional pending satisfactory completion of the Civil Service testing requirement. This position is represented by the ESPA bargaining unit.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist Campus Peace Officers in responding to campus emergencies.
- Assist with environmental, fire, safety and health inspections. (example: inspect and record maintenance of fire extinguishers).
- Patrols buildings, grounds and parking areas on foot or in a patrol vehicle to maintain order, protect persons and property, control traffic, and to prevent trespassing, theft, or damage.
- Enforces the laws of the State of New York.
- Checks all doors, windows, and entrances to buildings to be sure that they are secure.
- Controls and directs traffic on campus or campus related roads, grounds and parking areas.
- Investigates motor vehicle accidents that occur on campus.
- Issues parking violation tickets.
- Provides assistance to students, faculty, and staff (provides directions and information, assists motorists with lock-outs and other vehicular problems, etc.).
- Contacts snow removal contractor/grounds crew when necessary.
Successful completion of 30 semester hours from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees.
- Must possess the appropriate level motor vehicle operator's license.
- Successful completion of either the New York State Security Guard 8-hour Pre-assignment training or the Municipal Police Training Council's Basic Course for Peace Officer.
- Successful completion of the New York State Sixteen Hour on the Job Training Course.
All appointments will be Provisional pending satisfactory completion of the competitive Civil Service testing requirement.
The hourly rate for this position is $21.57 an hour.
Offers of employment will be conditional based upon the results of a satisfactory, required pre-employment Standard Background Check.
SUNY Broome Community College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to enhancing the diversity and inclusion of the campus community and curriculum. The institution is committed to promoting an environment of equity, inclusion, and respect for others. SUNY BCC is committed to the diversity of its community. Women, minorities, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
For best consideration, application materials must be received no later than Friday, February 23, 2024. SUNY Broome will continue to review and consider applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the name, address, and phone number of three (3) references to: