Director of Theater
Director of Theatre
Southwestern College seeks a vibrant individual to direct and expand the College’s theatre program. Envisioned as curricular and co-curricular experience for students, theatre has been and remains an important way for students to express themselves, work together, tell important narratives about our society, and grow in skill and leadership. The director will be responsible for all aspects of the program, including ensuring at least two successful large theatrical productions and two small ones each academic year. Bringing strategic leadership, the director will collaborate with a variety of college personnel and offices to ensure effective outreach, student recruitment, student development, and marketing. A dedicated passion for helping students reach their full potential in a supportive and inclusive diverse environment is essential to this position.
Founded in 1885, Southwestern College is ranked as a Top Tier regional university in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report. Its online programs for undergraduates were recently ranked in the top thirty in the United States. The college serves students in ground and online programs for undergraduate and graduate students. Students on the residential campus in Winfield enjoy direct interaction with members of the campus community that is enhanced by the use of college-issued laptops on a campus with ubiquitous wireless technology.
The successful candidate will bring energy, passion, and commitment to providing a first-class and deeply engaging experiential learning opportunity for students. A strong background in all aspects of theatre production, music and visual arts is desired. This eleven-month staff position includes a generous benefits package. Salary is reflective of training and experience.
- Leading the planning, development, and implementation of a reimagined theatre program
- Successfully recruiting students, based upon agreed-upon goals, for theatre productions
- Supervising student leaders to create and produce theatre shows
- Budgeting, management of all aspects of the theatre and theatre productions, and providing leadership for the program
- Collaborating with colleagues in the creative arts, across campus and the Southwestern College leadership to create a theatre production program that promotes excellence in a liberal arts environment
- A Master’s degree in Theatre or a closely related field.
- At least five years experience in managing, leading, and collaborating to produce theatre productions.
- At least three years of teaching college-level theatre courses or working with college students in theatre productions.
Completed applications must include the following:
- Letter of application addressing interest and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé.
- Name, address, email address, and phone number of at least three references who can address the candidate’s qualifications for the positions.
Send all materials to:
Ms. Lonnie Boyd
Director of Human Resources
100 College Street
Winfield, Kansas 67156
Review of completed applications will begin on January 13, 2023. Position is open until filled. In compliance with the Immigration Control Act of 1986, candidates for positions must provide proof of eligibility to work before an offer of employment can be made final. The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal background check. Southwestern College is an EEO/AA employer.