Instructor - Nursing
This full-time position is primarily a 9-month assignment (August to May); however, a supplemental, additional assignment may be required between May to August.
Provides quality instruction through effective teaching strategies to optimize student learning that includes establishing mutual respect, communicating clear expectations, engaging students, providing appropriate academic challenge, adapting instruction to student needs, fairly assessing student learning, and preparing students to be lifelong learners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create a dynamic, learner-centered environment that supports the diverse learning needs of the student population based on educational theory and evidence-based teaching practices.
- Provide quality online, in the classroom, lab, and clinical settings instruction to optimize student learning and outcomes through effective teaching strategies by presenting information, ideas, and skills in ways which are appropriate to a variety of learning styles.
- Create and maintain course documents as appropriate for assigned content such as online instruction, class sessions, learning activities, exams, lab sessions, clinical guidelines, etc.
- Maintain instructional quality and best practice through constant and timely revisions of Blackboard course content and course syllabi within assigned course.
- Plan, prepare for, and teach assigned courses and clinical rotations; orient and assist students, evaluate progress; conduct conferences as assigned or needed to provide students with course feedback, and supervise and evaluate students in all learning activities.
- Foster a teaching and learning environment that supports equitable opportunities and outcomes for all students.
- Provide students with the approved course syllabus and plan learning experiences that are appropriate for the student to successfully achieve the course objectives.
- Notify Nursing Program Director of any changes to class, lab and/or clinical days and/or times.
- Develop and maintain strong working and collegial relationships with co-workers and students focused on establishing mutual respect and teamwork in a culturally diverse environment that may include differences such as academic preparation and learning abilities.
- Evaluate students fairly on the basis of program criteria with timely formative and summative evaluations and assign student grades in accordance with college policy and the achievement of course objectives as stated in the syllabus.
- Provide learning support, maintain regular office hours, and maintain overall accessibility to students, which necessitates flexibility in arranging out-of-class consultations to accommodate student needs.
- Maintain proficiency in technology utilization as required for simulations, online teaching, and clinical sites, as appropriate.
- Under the direction of the Simulation Educator, effectively facilitate human patient and standardized patient simulated learning.
- Maintain accurate records (i.e., student attendance and performance and data bases according to program needs or accreditation requirements), and submit completed reports in a timely manner.
- Attend and participate in scheduled course, program, department, division, and college-wide meetings and all applicable graduations.
- Serve on College committees, assist in student recruitment and retention, and participate in activities that enhance the college’s service to students and to the community.
- Remains current and competent in knowledge, skills, and abilities for professional field of study and clinical expertise through professional development.
- Participate in development, implementation, and evaluation of program as required by accrediting agencies.
- Must meet all applicable clinical compliance requirements including, but not limited to, health physicals, immunizations (e.g., influenza and COVID-19), drug screening, and criminal background.
- Complete all applicable clinical orientations and maintain competency in the applicable clinical areas of teaching
- As needed, participate in the recruitment, admission, retention, dismissal, and re-entry of students.
- Inform Nursing Program Director of any student issues (academic, attendance, behavior, cheating, plagiarism) as soon as possible.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines as appropriate. Adhere to professional accountability and accepts responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master of Science degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited institution or currently pursuing with an anticipated graduation date within one year required, with commitment to complete preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education (including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation) within three years.
- Current unrestricted license as a registered nurse in North Carolina required.
- Must meet minimum national accreditation standards (SACSCOC) and minimum criteria of other relevant accrediting, licensing, and credentialing agencies in the area of teaching assignment.
- Current Basic Life Support Credential (CPR)
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of two years’ full-time employment in direct patient care required.
- Prior college-level teaching experience.
- Community college teaching experience and knowledge of curriculum development preferred.
- The ability to incorporate technology and interactive strategies in teaching is required.
- Ability to interpret and apply College goals, objectives, policies, procedures, rules, and regulations,
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- A strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to collaborate well with others required.