School Safety and Security Coordinator
DINUBA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS TITLE: SCHOOL SAFETY AND SECURITY COORDINATOR
Under the direction of the Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources, the School Safety and Security
Coordinator position will be managing the District’s comprehensive emergency preparedness program,
including oversight of the District emergency preparedness and site safety plans for school sites and District
offices, assisting and advising administrators in the development and/or revision of school emergency plans.
- Assist and monitor the development, implementation and evaluation of school sites’ emergency preparedness and safety plans.
- Maintains high visibility throughout the school's buildings and grounds.
- Collaborates closely with the school resource officer (SRO) in matters of public safety involving students and staff.
- Develop a positive rapport with students, parents, teachers, staff, and community partners.
In collaboration with site safety teams, evaluates the strengths and challenges of current safety plans, policies and procedures.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of security and surveillance equipment on school district properties.
- Assists with the implementation of safety and security protocols to ensure a safe school environment.
- Recommends additions and improvements to the safety emergency plans for each school site.
- Assist site administration in the daily operations of ensuring a safe school environment.
- Conducts random checks of school sites including: Buildings, Parking Lots and Vehicles to ensure schools
- Assist site administration with training of campus monitors and crossing guards.
- Assist site administration with arranging security for large events – football games, graduation, etc.
- Coordinates with site administration and monitors fire drills, lock downs and other emergency procedure drills for the purpose of complying with established guidelines.
- Assist with timely and thorough investigation of incidents, vandalism and thefts and report criminal activity, meet with the faculty and administrators and other personnel, as needed; schedule meetings with Campus Safety
- Monitors on a regular basis to provide clear expectations and ensure comprehension of tasks assigned.
Assist with the evaluation, planning, implementation and monitoring of intrusion alarms, surveillance cameras, district-wide communication strategies.
- Conduct school site safety audits and reviews.
- Coordinate emergency simulation drills with site safety teams.
- Attend professional development opportunities; conferences and workshops on school safety matters.
- Participates in site and district safety team meetings.
- Assist and conduct training for District personnel and students, including workshops, refresher courses on
current laws, regulations, procedures, and District policies to provide clear expectations and support professional growth. Coordinate and organize staff and student training as necessary for implementation of the campus wide School Safety Plan. Communicates safety and security policies and enforcement procedures to students, staff and visitors for the purpose of ensuring their understanding of such information and the potential consequences of violation.
- Serve as the Crisis Response Coordinator to direct emergency situations (e.g. active shooter, lockdowns, and drills, etc.) at schools.
- Attend and present at meetings/trainings/Board of Trustees meetings as directed by Superintendent or Designee.
- Coordinates with local law enforcement and other appropriate health and safety professionals in matters of public safety.
- Researches, recommends, and implements procedures of best practices to prevent and deter violence at schools.
- Act as liaison and represent the District in the area of Safety Plans/Emergency Services in cooperative
relationships with community members, community agencies, district committees, and personnel in other
organizational units and offices.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of a variety of records and reports. Maintains a variety of files and records for the purpose of ensuring the availability of information for future reference and/or audit for
compliance to established policies.
Performs other duties and responsibilities as required by the Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources, or
designee, in order to accomplish the goals and objectives of the district.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Federal, state and local regulations, laws, codes and ordinances relating to emergency services
School emergency preparedness procedures
- Comprehensive Safe Schools Plan
- In depth knowledge of school campus systems and school site administrative processes
Policies, rules, and regulations concerning campus control, safety, and appropriate student behavior
Crowd control procedures, and the detection and identification of dangerous drugs and improper substances
- Principles of supervision, training, and program administration
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
- Research and development strategies, processes, and techniques
- Demonstrated leadership and project organizational skills, (planning, implementing, evaluation)
- Operation of personal computers and software, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Plan, organize, develop, and coordinate the activities of a broad range of programs and special services
Analyze program activities and implement procedures which will improve services
- Ensure that programs and activities are carried out in compliance with district, state, and federal requirements
- Serve as liaison with a variety of community and governmental organizations
- Ability to work collaboratively with various groups and gain consensus related to project implementation and other problem solving.
- Attend professional development opportunities at local and state levels.
- Demonstrated strong and interpersonal skills and individuals, teams, and groups, (teachers, parents,
administrators, and support staff).
- Operate a computer and other office equipment as assigned; drive own vehicle to conduct work; have the
capacity sufficient to perform other job tasks.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Make effective public presentations of program information
- Analyze situations accurately, and adopt an effective course of action
- Maintain consistent, punctual, and regular attendance
- Multi-task and deal effectively with constant interruptions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including work as directed outside of the school calendar.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in a related field (preferred); and two years experience in
school district administration, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the
required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Prefer certification in Risk Management, Security or Emergency
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California driver’s license and access to private vehicle
Possession of valid First Aid and CPR certificates
Employees in this position will be required to work indoors and outdoors in office, classroom and school
Employees in this position must have/be able to:
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Sit for extended periods of time
- See to view a computer monitor and read a variety of materials
- See, hear and speak with/without assistive devices sufficient to communicate effectively with others
- Speak so that others may understand at normal levels and on the telephone
- Lift and/or carry up to 25 lbs. at waist height for short distances
- Reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally, grasp, push/pull
- Bend, twist and stoop at the waist
- Perform CPR maneuvers for an extended period of time
- Ability to work extended hours without break during a crisis response.
- Employees may come in contact with dissatisfied or abusive individuals
- Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and bodily fluids