PT School Bus Driver - Sign On Bonus!
Des Moines Public Schools serves 31,000 students as Iowa's largest provider of K-12 public education. Transportation staff are a vital part of our team as we ensure the safe arrival of students at various destinations throughout the city.
That's why we're offering two sign-on bonus opportunities.
Bonus: $2,000 and paid training and assistance obtaining your Commercial Driver's License.
Bonus: $5,000 and paid training (if you already have your CDL with valid endorsements of school bus, passenger and air brakes)
This position is part-time through the academic year (August-June), and comes with a free DART bus pass, single or family health insurance with the potential for $0 in premiums, vision, dental, and IPERS - a defined retirement benefit plan.
Put yourself in the driver's seat!
1. Drive/operate the school bus in a safe, effective and proficient manner.
2. Provide guidance and training to bus associates in the performance of their respective assignments and duties.
3. Perform visual bus safety inspection at the start of each route.
4. Report all vehicle damage and/or repair items using established procedures and forms.
5. Ensure interior and exterior cleanliness and appearance of the school bus.
6. Maintain appropriate student behavior on the bus and report policy infractions as appropriate.
7. Assist in providing the necessary safeguards to prevent loss of or damage to property, or failure of mechanical equipment.
8. Assist in the inspection, operation, and use of specialized equipment required by special education students.
9. Complete Medicare paperwork.
10. Utilize computer to read District and Department email communications and to take required online training courses.
11. Adhere to District policies and Department work rules.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (for every DMPS position):
1. Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
2. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
3. Maintain confidentiality.
4. Maintain satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
5. Assist with other duties as may be assigned
1. Twenty (20) years of age or older.
2. Ability to obtain Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within a 60 day period.
3. Ability to obtain State of Iowa School Bus Operators permit.
4. Working knowledge of city and school locations.
5. Ability and willingness to accept the responsibility of the position.
6. Ability to use computer to take required online training.
7. For internal candidates, competitive rating on employee evaluation criteria established by the district.
8. Effective communication skills.
9. Ability to use good judgment.
10. Ability to promote spirit of cooperation with others.
11. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
1. Practical knowledge of characteristics and needs of Special Education students.