Teacher Aides for Special Education
Position: Teacher Aides
Division: Special Education - Serving classrooms in Cattaraugus & Allegany County school districts.
Supervisor: Special Education Supervisor
Location: District Wide
Description: This is responsible work involving the performance of non-teaching tasks relates to the teaching process in a classroom or school. Incumbents relieve the teaching staff of that part of their duties related to teaching, which may be performed by a non-teacher. The duties of this class differ from those of School Monitor due to the more complex nature of the assignments that are performed, though on a limited basis Teacher Aide may be assigned monitoring duties. A Teacher Aide does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Works with small groups of students, or one-on-one, reinforcing skills taught by a teacher;
- Helps teacher with bulletin boards, arts and crafts, and the conduct of games;
- Operates copy machines producing ditto copies, transparencies, and other copied material utilized in the teaching process;
- Collates copied material;
- Takes attendance and distributes work folders;
- Distributes audio-visual equipment;
- Directs students to class;
- Proctors and assists in the conduct of examinations;
- May perform incidental duplicating and typing tasks;
- Assists in toileting of incontinent children;
- Assists children in daily living skills;
- Helps in feeding children who need this service;
- Assists in transporting non-ambulatory or developmentally disabled children;
- Assists students with behavioral management needs;
- May supervise students in various settings such as classroom, hall, lunchroom, bus, playground, or parking lot
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Ability to establish good relationships with students and teachers; ability to readily acquire a familiarity with school and classroom routine; ability to read and write English; resourcefulness in conducting activities related to the teaching process; tact; courtesy; good judgment, physical condition sufficient to perform the essential functions of the position.
A.) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma;
B.) Training or experience in an area which will be utilized to aid the teaching process.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT FOR APPOINTMENT IN SCHOOL DISTRICTS/BOCES: Per regulations of the Commissioner of Education, to be employed in a position designated by a school district or BOCES as involving direct contact with students, a clearance for employment from the State Education Department is required.
Click "apply" today!